No-weld HPV

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
No-weld HPV

Users helping users with the construction of no-weld HPV trikes, bikes and velomobile.

Ackerman Steering

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Ackerman Steering Empty Ackerman Steering

Post  Admin Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:48 pm

Now I understand. I don't know how many times I looked at the plans (misleading) and photos on the N55 site, I just was not understanding.
    Now I see the other pivot point. I'll try to get some drawings up to show what I mean. If you look to the center side of the steer handle there is another pivot point. That point and the pivot point at the end of the axle set the ackerman angle.
    This steering setup is rather simplistic. There is no toe in adjustment or camber/caster.
    The kingpin is also running parallel to the wheel.
    The steering will function as is, although improvements could be made as mods after the build.

Gordon Seiter also pointed out the Ackerman steering in his post on my blog. I just didn't understand at the time, it went over my head.

One place that still looks weak to me is the spot where the front axle attaches to the frame.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:38 am